damper felts

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:44:39 -0600

>PETER KESTENS
>KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
>
>List,
>I've changed the damper-felts of a Zimmerman grand; after doing this, the
>sound of the notes stays much longer sounding than before.  If I puch a
>little bit on the damper itself, sounding stops immediatly after I stop
>playing  the key. Is the damper-felt to soft or has the damper-action not
>enough wait? I've placed them correctly on the same way an the same heigth
>as the old ones. How do I have to resolve this problem?

Hello Peter,

Try pushing down on the music wire. If the dampers are set at the correct
height, the damper head should follow the string down a ways. If the damper
head doesn't move down with the string, you must increase the space between
the bottom of the underlevesr and the key end felts.

Also make sure that the underlevers aren't resting on the damper tray.

Grand dampers - you gotta' love 'em!

Good luck.

Tom Seay
School of Music