Baldwin SD-10

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:32:46 +0000

>I just worked on an SD-10 and it had the
>Renner butterfly spring (w/ screw adj.) whippen.
>Have they discontinued using the Schwander type whippen?
>It played rather hard but I got it playing to the guy's liking.
>Seems to me, that the Schwander whip produced a better 'feel'.
>Any comments?
>Also, the serial # is 284570, When was that made?

>Jon Page

Jon,

	I'm a Baldwin dealer technician in Canada, and Baldwin has been
using Renner actions in their SD-10 and SF-10 pianos for some time,
since the early 80's, I think. Your serial number 284570 dates the
instrument to 1989. I agree that they are easier to fine regulate,
but if the screw adjustment doesn't change the rep spring tension you need
 to check some of the springs and re-bend them as needed.
Interesting note: Baldwin uses their own hammers on the Renner
actions, which I find very light. Consequently, look for lots 'o lead
to compensate in the keys, making for heavy inertia problems.

Hope this helps,

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.
C.A.P.T. Student