Steinway hammers

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 22:03:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 07:50:13 -0500 (EST) Mark Graham
<magraham@baldwinw.edu> writes
>I played the Steinway for a bit, and listened, and had to agree. It
>sounded nice. But it didn't sound outstanding, sort of dull from top
>to bottom. A clear case for voicing. <snip>
>I went back and read all the recent info on the forum, particularly
>Steve Schell's. Used 2 keytops in 1 qt. acetone. Applied liberally,
waited
>an hour, applied again where it seemed called for.
Mark
My question is, what is your idea of  "applied liberally".  Did you use
one of those plastic hypo oilers to apply it?  If so how many containers
did you use?  Did you try to fully soak the felt behind the strike point,
apply it from the sides, from the top,  from both sides, if from the
sides did you let it soak up to the top strike point, in a v pattern, the
whole hammer, middle and shoulders?  Could you please describe what your
goal was and how you decided that it appeared to need a second
application on some.  Just curious. Congratulations on the successful job
and the happy client.
Thanks,
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA