Wurlitzer metal pinblock tuning pin (info & repair)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:16:07 -0600 (CST)

>If this is the type pin that is flat on the end and about half the
>length of a regular pin. You just take a hacksaw to a regular pin and
>grind it flat afterwards on a bench grinder.  I seem to remember a 2/0
>worked...
>
>Warren

Sounds :-)   like a Wegman tuning pin.

Here is a description of the Wurlitzer tuning pin from a post on Pianotech
by Bill Bailer dated 8/2/96:
>...I have seen a Wurlitzer upright with pins set directly into the plate.
>The area behind the pins was open, and the ends of the pins visible.  They
>had slots cut in them across the diameter to a depth that was into the
>hole, but not visible from the front.  Each slot had a metal wedge driven
>into it, spreading the pin tightly in the hole.  To tighten a pin, one
>could either drive the whole pin forward ("outward"), or drive just the
>wedge (just a very little bit in either case)...

And here is a explanation and possible repair for that broken tuning pin
from a post on Pianotech by Fred Scoles, RPT dated 8/2/96:
>...The problem I've had with one Wurlitzer upright player Uniplate
>is that some pins tend to seize into place, and shear off unless one
>first removes the back protective cover and either loosens the pin wedge,
>taps the pin end, or applies a drop of penetrating oil like Kroil to
>first loosen the pin.  Replacing sheared pins involves modifying a
>standard pin...

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician