Sanding

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:08:55 -0700

Wally,

The Porter Cable is my choice, hands down.

The Ryobi is _very_ cost effective, and is a good way to figure out how
much of the kind of work which requires this kind of equipement you want to
do.  On the other hand, the "agressive speed" is offset by increased
vibrations.

Like everything else with tools, if you like it and it works, use it.

Horace

>I've been looking at a couple of profile sanders, Ryobi's and Porter
>Cable's.  They have triangular heads.  Porter Cable's has various
>attachments and various shapes of sandpaper to fit the various attachments,
>designed to fit in odd places.  Some of the catalogues have these same
>shapes designed to be hand-held. I've usually used cabinet scrapers and
>sandpaper for these odd spots such as filigree work or decorative legs.
>Porter Cable's price tag is $118.00, and Ryobi's is $33, but Ryobi's does
>not have shaped attachments.  It does however, have a more aggressive speed.
>
>Can someone who has used these hummers comment on their worth for the
>dollar, and whether they save significant time or skin?  Thanks for feedback.
>Wally Wilson

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

LiNCS				voice: 725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 725-9942