Buzzing Bass Strings

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 03:10:42 -0700

Eliot Lee wrote:

> Dear List,
>
>         I just serviced a 45" Sohmer verticle piano, Serial #224897.
> Practically all the bass strings buzz, and I can not believe that it can
> only be the winding.  I looked for breaks and couldn't see any but I
> noticed near the winding the core is flattened.
>
>         The customer is asking me what to do about it and I suggested
> replacing all the bass strings, but it is beyond their budget.
>
>         Do any of you know of any other solutions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eliot Lee

Eliot,

Have you tried using a string twister on a couple of them to find out if
it is the winding.  You can do the whole bass set in about 3 hours plus
the retuning charge, if you've never done it before.  Twist in the same
direction as the winding goes (look at the cut off at one end).  Remove
the trap work levers before you start!

Hope this helps,

Warren
--