Baldwin floating plate

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 07:38:23 +0000

Richard Moody wrote:

>  The "floating plate" by Baldwin has been mentioned, and that would
> be interestng to hear more about, but I am wondering with the
> acu-just hitch pins, why the heck they also need a floating plate?

	Good question! The theory as explained by Baldwin, (and probably
distorted by me in the translation) has to do with the setting of the
strings on the Accu-just pins. For those who haven't heard of
Accu-just pins (a new type of tuning pins?), they are a hitch-pin
design by Baldwin that is a steel tube mounted 90 degrees to the
plate, i.e.: with no angle like conventional hitch pins. Because the
pins are perpendicular to the plate, you can move the string up and
down the hitch pin (after removing some tension, of course) and this
affects back-bearing (and to a lesser degree, front-bearing)
measurements.

  Baldwin says that the strings should be optimally set approx. 1/3
of the way up the pin from the plate initially in the factory, to
allow for re-setting later on in the life of the piano. The floating
plate (Sounds like something from the X-Files... Mulder: Lets go
check out that floating plate! Scully: Mulder, you oaf, I'm such a
skeptic, a floating plate design could never work... hey look at
that!) allows initial bearing to be set so that the strings rest on
the Accu-just pins at the optimum spot. Should you need to change
bearing later, you have two ways to do it, moving the plate, or
re-setting the strings on the hitch pins.

Interesting side note: in the April Journal, Charles R. Walter has
come out with Accu-Set hitch pins on their grands.... Scully, check
it out!

Regards,

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.