Repair and rebuilding

Wallace F. Wilson wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:35:32 -0400 (EDT)

ALL:  I said either of us can do it in 1.5 to 2 hrs.  I don't like it, but I
sit on the floor facing the piano, break up the old plastic with needle nose
pliers, screw on the new ones (I use Vagias -- better material & easy
installation), and pop on the other end.  Minor adjustment is sometimes
needed, but usually not very much.

Of course, there is usually by now a plethora of problems -- loose screws,
need for a regulation, hammer shaping, etc etc etc.  This brings up the
subject of how far to go.  Ethically for me it involves other underlying
problems in the piano, the use to which it's put (I think of one customer
who got the job done so her sister could play it when she came to town for
Christmas!), the general condition of the piano, the poverty of the customer
and my ability at the time to do pro bono work.  People who speak up to take
the action out have a valid case, I recognize.   There's always that issue
of business ethics -- the limit you can recommend people spending, vs my
desire to go first class.  Maybe they've got cracks in the bridge, bats in
the belfry....  Then, too, how many *serious* musicians buy & keep an old
spinet?  You know, it's the most popular instrument around here!  They're
like flies.   But then I remind myself they're also my paycheck and some
customer's pride & joy.

Incidentally, my wife does more elbow jobs than I, although we're not spring
chickens.

>      Besides  --------------------------(with all due respect)-------------
>If your doing elbow jobs in the home,,,,,,,you either have very healthy backs
>for which I am  envious or you've not done very many elbow jobs for which I
>am equally envious.
>
>Tom Ayers   realpianos@aol.com
Wally Wilson