pin height, driving fluid, beckets

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 22:43:17 -0500

I am wondering about the inclined plates.  Is that the same as the
"ski slope" as in the Steinway (M at least) in the first two octaves
of the tenor section.  I heard an explaination of the "reason why"
but have forgotten it.  (The strings from the agraffe to the pins go
over a "slope" covered with felt.)  I also see it on a Chickering
grand.  In uprights there is the pressure bar, but still why the need
for that slope? unless to make an upper duplex possible.....

Richard