Hamburg Steinway Hammers

Charles K. Ball ckball@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:08:27 -0500

Dear Mike,

I would have to agree that if one wants to maintain the original tonal
qualities of the German Steinway the best way to go is with the Renner
hammer manufactured for that instrument (available from S&S in New York).
I have had a bit of experience, however,  with modifying the tone to make
it more like the American Steinway.

Have you ever heard a German Steinway with New York Steinway hammers (of
course one must bore the hammer according to the German Steinway
specification)?  I tried that once and the result was lovely; our piano
faculty declared that that model D had never sounded so fine.  The piano
lost some of the focus and clarity that characterizes the German
instrument, but made up for it with breadth and warmth of tone.

Charles

>Keep it Steinway,
>
>Hamburg Hammers are available bored or unbored from the factory here in NY.
>
>Call Parts dept, 1800 366 1853, or me.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mike Mohr
>Steinway NYC,