Hamburg Steinway Hammers

Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:58:06 -0700

Charles,

I am glad to hear of your experiment.

I did the same once, some time ago.  Fooled everyone for a year.
Cheated, though - just swapped parts and regulated (no, it's not
kosher).  "The pianos have never sounded better..."

I finally put things back.  Ah, well.

Never had the heart to tell the folks involved.

Just a twisted mind at play.

Best.

Horace

At 09:08 AM 6/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Mike,
>
>I would have to agree that if one wants to maintain the original tonal
>qualities of the German Steinway the best way to go is with the Renner
>hammer manufactured for that instrument (available from S&S in New York).
>I have had a bit of experience, however,  with modifying the tone to make
>it more like the American Steinway.
>
>Have you ever heard a German Steinway with New York Steinway hammers (of
>course one must bore the hammer according to the German Steinway
>specification)?  I tried that once and the result was lovely; our piano
>faculty declared that that model D had never sounded so fine.  The piano
>lost some of the focus and clarity that characterizes the German
>instrument, but made up for it with breadth and warmth of tone.
>
>Charles
>
>>Keep it Steinway,
>>
>>Hamburg Hammers are available bored or unbored from the factory here in NY.
>>
>>Call Parts dept, 1800 366 1853, or me.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Mike Mohr
>>Steinway NYC,