Hamburg Steinway Hammers

Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:10:32 -0700

David,

I know that this difference in manufacturer used to exist.  This was
supposed to have changed to be Renner exclusively when Abel was not
able (sorry) to generate sufficient production.

I do agree that my preference was for the Abel hammer, for the same
reasons.  It is reasonable to remember, however, that this may well
be a U.S. prejudice, based in difference in North American practice.

Further, in the bad old days, Renner used to have over 400 different hammer
styles available.  Nowdays, we seem to have lost a certain apprreciation for
subtle differences in tone.

Best.

Horace

At 10:27 AM 6/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
>>Subject: Re: Hamburg Steinway Hammers
>>
>>David,
>>
>>Yes, the real thing is from Renner.
>>
>>However, it is not the same as other hammers made by Renner for other
>>consumption.
>>
>>Like Bösendorfer, Steinway's hammers from Renner are made to exclusive
>>specifications.
>
>According to Michael Mohr the Hamburg hammers may be made by either Abel or
>Renner.
>My experience is that the Abel made Steinway hammer is a little softer and
>may even require a little hardening.  I prefer this.
>
>Bob Marinelli was on a tour of the Abel and Renner factories.  He noted that
>the tempurature settings on the hammer presses was 200 degrees at Abel and
>300 degrees at Renner.
>
>David C. Stanwood

Horace Greeley

Stanford University