Hamburg Steinway Hammers /Renner response

Lloyd Meyer LMeyer@CompuServe.COM
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:38:04 -0400

Dear List,

The misinformation on this subject has reached a level where we have no
choice but to respond.  We respect everyone's opinion, and have never tried
to correct factual misstatements which can always happen in this kind of
freewheeling forum.   However, when our manufacturing procedures are
misstated to this degree, we really have no choice, and hope you
understand.

First, Mr. Marinelli has never visited our hammer production factory in
Germany and his company is not known to Renner in Germany.  Secondly, we do
not use temperature settings anywhere approaching 300 degrees in pressing
our hammers, as the felt would be completely destroyed at that temperature.
 This is fairly elementary.  Our hammer making is very sophisticated, and
allows us to apply different temperatures to specific parts of the hammer
as appropriate.  Beyond that, we cannot comment as the process is
proprietary.

Finally, to the best of our knowledge, Renner continues to supply all of
the grand hammers for the Hamburg Steinway, a relationship of which Renner
is very proud.

Let me reiterate that I personally enjoy all of your contributions
immensely.  Some of your collective ideas have resulted in our developing
new products and/or improving existing ones.  We do not wish to in any way
limit discussion here, only to keep it within some bounds of reality.

Sincerely,
Lloyd Meyer

>According to Michael Mohr the Hamburg hammers may be made by either Abel
or Renner.
>My experience is that the Abel made Steinway hammer is a little softer and
may even
>require a little hardening.  I prefer this.

>Bob Marinelli was on a tour of the Abel and Renner factories.  He noted
that the temperature
>settings on the hammer presses was 200 degrees at Abel and 300 degrees at
Renner.