Adjusting Drop -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:02:50 -0700

Gotta concur with Joel about the drop screw being out of the way only
when it is down...not up...  At that point, with the drop screw down so
as not to hide escapement (let off) I look for a subtle "wink" of the
hammer...barely a millimeter drop.  This may be a bit close for pianos in
normal use, but for finicky artists and concert situations, it makes things
real nice, but it doesn't leave you much head room.  I never feel safe
with this kind of high level adjustment out of the piano, so I always get
things in the ball park on the bench, and final-adjust escapement and
drop in the piano.  I think this might be the strongest argument against
Dave's method.

Steve P