cleaning & smoke odor

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:18:46 -0700

John W. McKone wrote:

> Look for an "ozone room" in your area.  Companies that do fire damage furniture insurance claims are likely candidates to have one.  In my area, you can stick a piano in one of these places overnight for about $30.
> .-
John,
I took a class at the Philadelphia convention about flood- and
fire-damaged pianos and the instructor strongly cautioned against
putting pianos in ozone rooms (for the purpose of smoke odor removal). I
remember him saying that smoke odor can be reduced but *not* eliminated,
despite reports to the contrary. He did not talk about cigaret smoke
specifically or about what affect ozone has on glue joints, felt, etc.
but this is sounding a little like drying your wet dog in the microwave.

Just looked in my convention notes and the instructor's name is Tom
Patten, Great Susquehanna Piano Co., Milton, PA if you wanted to query
him.

Cheers,
Tom
--