smoke odor

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:50:56 -0500

Thanks to Ralph, John, Susan, Warren, Bill, Tom, Horace, Dave S., Dave
P. and (I'm sure I forgot several) all who fielded my question about
cigarette smoke odor.

It turned out that this one was not all that bad.  We simply vacuumed
inside very well, cleaned the keytops with soap & water, wiped all other
exposed parts with odorless mineral spirits - including all internal
parts that had smoke accumulation on them.  We did not remove the action
or keys (it's a spinet).  Cigarette smoke is very visable when it's not
disturbed for a number of years.  For the most part, the mineral spirits
disolved it and allowed it to be wiped away.  We then polished the case
with lemon oil.  The customer is quite happy now.  There is still a
faint odor of cigarette smoke when you open the lid, but it's not even
noticable several feet away in the room.

Thanks again,
Danny