cleaning

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:41:12 -0500

> Rob Stuart-Vail wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm sending this again, <<snip>> I'm beginning to feel that
> everybody wants to ignore the problem like I've  pretty much been
> doing.

Rob,Since I was the person who posed the cigarette smoke/odor problem,
I'll also field your actual question . . . .

I've never had one that was totally horrible.  I will ask the customer
if they would like me to clean it - after showing them what it looks
like with the panels off.  I know there are many techs that carry vacuum
cleaners around with them - I don't.  I ask to use the customer's vac
and vacuum out the rotting sandwiches, mouse carcasses and such.  If it
takes less than 15 minutes, I don't charge.  If more than 15 min., I
charge my regular hourly rate.

I consider heavy duty cleaning shop work.  That is, if it's more than a
stiff bristle brush around the tuning pins, sound board steel and rag or
general dusting or vacuuming.

I agree with you 100% about the liquids around the tuning pins - no
water, solvents, polish, whatever - in a position that might absorb
around the tuning pins, "wick" up the wires to bass windings or drip on
the hammers or action parts.

I know, this wasn't much help, but I find that most people who maintain
their instrument by having it tuned, regulated and otherwise maintained
usually take care of it to the best of their ability.  This includes
cleaning the case and the other exposed parts that they can reach.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter