bridge

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:03:47 -0500

Today I tuned a pre-1895 Shubert upright.  Instead of having an upper and
lower bridge pin on the bridge, the middle of the bridge was hollowed out
with a pressure bar appliance was screwed down on top of the strings.  The
strings had plenty down bearing but did not have any side bearing.  I
couldn't tell how effective the system was because it was so old and
decrepid.  I tuned it where it was (-95c) and had to talk the client out of
spending any money on the action (falling apart and breaking up).
Anyone seen this arrangement before?
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
"Time is the vehicle in which actions can take place." JG