ramblin' (tuning by pure 5ths)

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 02:03:49 -0500

Hi Jim
	You wrote,  "Did you get my latest pure5ths temperament which I put
on the list
> yesterday. It spells out quite clearly (I think) to not change the
A4.
> That is the only note that is ever correct on any piano (we hope)."

Damn, I knew I would make a mistake sooner or later....
I meant A3.   Infact I went back to look to double check that you
called the A440 A4 and then somehow forgot to change it to A3 in my
post. Very Sorry.

Oh well in an illogical system it is easy to make mistakes.  I mean
who ever thought of calling the first A on a piano A0?  I can guess
the answer.  There were times when the first note on the piano was C,
and it was called C1,  so when  3 lower notes were added, they
couldn't change the nomenclature.  I wonder then how they name the
extra notes on Bosendorfers   But if it was the American Accoustical
Society that started (ended up with) the A0 -C1 nomenclature, it
seems it was expressly for the piano, which seems odd in that an
accoustical society might want to talk about other key board
instruments, so how did they call the notes on a pipe organ, or an
electric organ, or a synthesizer?   And what was wrong with the C c
c' system which I am also guessing was already in use for a
significant period of time? They could have just as easily
"standardized" that one, instead of inventing something that becomes
convoluted as the piano evolves.

	The C  c   c'   c"  seems simple enough to me, and avoids the
confusion of the 5th A on a piano being called A4.   Well I guess it
is a nemumonic, A4 = A440.   Any how if you can remember c' is Middle
C you can talk about harpsichords (either keyboard), organs, (either
keyboard), clavichords, electric pianos.  Tuners of them might just
have an interest in trying our new temperament.   Why should they
have to figure out which C is middle C?   In fact with the increasing
diversity of keyboard instruments in the last 50 years, I think it
makes good sense to use the c'  Middle C system.   Maybe its too
simple, although  you do have to know your notes in an octave.   That
A440 is the next A above M C, which would make it a'.
And when it comes to intervals, which tuning is all about anyway, how
would  you rather type out intervals,  c' - a'      or C4 - A4.
Quick where is this third? a - c' ?  Yes, this third is also a minor
third.     Quick what is the tenth down from middle C?     G# - c'
or perhaps  c' - Ab.  I don't have a music theory book, unless it is
some where in Piston.  Which brings up another advantage, if one is
talking about notes without a music staff, it seems more universal to
talk about the interval Ab -c', than Ab2 - C 4. How and why would you
want to find the chord G3 D4 G4 on a harpsichord when g d' g'  makes
sense no matter how many C's it has or which one could be called 1 ?

	Jim mentioned there were 7 different uses of the c' C notation.   If
that is the case, I would pitch for the establishment of middle C as
c.   That way the notes below Middle C are in uppercase, and the
notes above are in small letters, Which is an advantage for piano
tuners.
There is no mistake about the fourth G c, and c g the fifth. The temp
octave then is A a, or F a  if you please.    So if talking about the
beat rates of F A,  A c#, c# f, f a, not to much confusion, no
missing a '  on a computer screen from blury eyes, and a whole lot
less typing.

	Name this tune c e f g / c f g a/ c g a bb/ c'.... Its a waltz and
It isn't Chopin or if it is, which one?  Now if we could only get
timeing in notation.   Which would send the  copy right lawyers
scrambling.  Hmm we could use periods commas semi colons and colons.
Scuse me while I ramble.....    nothing for quarter notes, commas for
eights, semi's for half notes, and colons....

	OK here goes   3/4...   / c e,f,g  / c f,g,a / c g,a,bb / c' ; c' /}
		/c'  d',c'bb  /bb c',bb,a  /a  bb,a,g / f  e  d  /  repeat from
beginning.

An ASCII Fake Book....    too hard to read though. the B flats does
it in, and what about sixteenth notes?

	Could you please tell what pitch an 8 foot C is?   and am curious as
to what an 8 foot stopped pipe is.

Richard Moody
----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: ramblin' (tuning by pure 5ths)
> Date: Thursday, June 26, 1997 1:56 AM
>
> Hi Richard:
>
> Did you get my latest pure5ths temperament which I put on the list
> yesterday. It spells out quite clearly (I think) to not change the
A4.
> That is the only note that is ever correct on any piano (we hope).
>
> Tuning pure 5ths temperament is just like tuning the
Baldassin/Sanderson
> temperament at the beginning except the octaves A-A and F-F must be
made
> wider (almost 2.0 bps), and consequently the 4ths are almost twice
their
> normal speed. Everything else falls in quite similar to regular
equal
> temperament.
>
> I interpose a 5th early on just to make estimating the octave
spread
> comparison to the 4ths a little easier.
>
> When you print out that set of instructions, you may have better
success.
> If you have never tuned the Baldassin/Sanderson temperament, I
highly
> recommend it to you and everyone else. The latest versions
including the
> Kimbell/Tremper/Coleman variety are a little more helpful. Once a
person
> can tune that temperament easily, tuning the pure 5ths temperament
> variation is a snap.
>
> The notation using C c c' c'' etc. is very confusing. Historically
there
> have been I think 7 different varieties of this system. The
American
> [...]
> 8 ft, 4 ft, 2 ft etc. This confuses piano people. This was very
logical
> to organ people where a rank of pipes starting with 8' length was
called
> the 8' rank. We've never had any pianos or harpsichords which
started with
> a C which was 8' or 16' in length, so that terminology loses some
of its
> significance in pianos except as related to organ pitches etc.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Richard Moody  wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of trying to lower the A4 by as much as it takes
> > get a pure fifth.
>
> Are you thinking of A4 as note # 37? Note # 37 is A3 (the 4th A on
the
> piano.) I know, this seems confusing until you realize that the
lowest
> A on the piano is called A0 in American terminology.
>
> However this assumes one is tuning from an
> > established ET octave.
> > 	I have no  problem tuning tempered octaves, but tuning pure
fifths
> > is, well very  unusual. It is not the same as tuning pure
octaves, at
> > least so it seems in these early stages.  Perhaps it is because
diff
> > and more remote partials are involved.
>
> Tuning pure 5ths is just as easy as tuning tempered 5ths, You just
make
> the 6th-10th test equal instead of tempering the 10th slower.
>
> You use the same partials in your judgments.
>
> > 	I am impressed by hearing pure fifths in music (from a keyboard)
> > had grown up hearing tempered and then tuned ET for. I think
though
> > in
> > this second attempt I came out (was forced to smaller octaves,
out of
> > ingrained habit)  that I really ended up with tempered fifths,
but
> > much purer than I have ever known.  Maybe one has to evolve into
> > this. I think what will happen to aural tuners is that on
successive
> > attempts we will get bolder with wider octaves. Or perhaps become
> > like the early tuners and stick the wolf where the sun don't
shine. :
> > ).
>
> There will be no wolf in pure 5ths temperament. The wider octaves
eat up
> the wolf. However, the wider octaves do force the 4ths to be wider,
but
> nothing like a wolf.
>
> > 	It is also easy to make errors. Like when I tuned a' to d' pure
> > thinking that tuning the next fourth down,   d' to a, I would get
> > stretched octave, and then wonder why I didn't.  Like duh.  While
we
> > are on that subject, I wonder why the notation I used above isn't
in
> > more general use?    Isn't that what organists and
harpsichordists
> > use?  Why let the compass of the keyboard dictate nomenclature?
And
> > why start at the bottom note even? Every keyboard has a middle C
why
> > not start there?   Besides its so simple.  Middle C is   c'
the C
> > above
> > is    c"     the C below MC is    c     the C below that is
> >    which is,, hold on
> > I gotta look it up,, is C2.   Anyhow Groves should be definitive
on
> > this so some one with more immediate access correct me if wrong.
Even