Consultation Fees

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 09:12:04 -0500

Thanks Gina and List,
I understand what you're saying about helping folks as a volunteer, I just
have such a volume of calls that it effects my income and personal life
with my family.  After a ten hour day,  I want to (and should) spend time
with my 2,5 and 7 year old.  (I like to talk to my wife some too before
passing out.)  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the double-dipping on
fees to customers and commissions from dealers.  I live 40-45 minutes from
the dealers and spend time going there to look over their stock, then
making twenty phone calls (talking to each buyer for several minutes) and
occasionally looking at the specific piano to answer more detailed
questions.
The Fine book is a great resource for me and the customers and I use it
often.  I'm considering buying several copies at a time.
So often I have helped buyers and sellers and I never hear from either of
them to let me know the instrument sold or to service it later.  After I
spent lots of time with a lady the other day she acted like I was a
telemarketer selling long distance service when I called her to schedule
the first tuning!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: EugeniaCar@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Consultation Fees
> Date: Saturday, June 28, 1997 6:34 AM
>
> Lance,
>
> When I decided to become a piano technician, part of the rationale was
that
> tho I would never make the Fortune 500 List, the benefits of our
profession
> far outweighed the disadvantages. As a service professional, my time is
> money. When I donate my time to help educate the piano public, I consider
> this to be one of the more important contributions I can make as a
volunteer.

> Ever since I saw the first bummer piano that someone bought without
having a
> technician look at it before purchasing it, I knew I had to share what
> knowledge I have to help, hopefully, future buyers from throwing their
money
> away. As you know there is a lot of information we can give over the
phone to
> assist them before we even go look at the piano. So I have always told my
> customers to have their friends call me before buying a piano. I do not
> charge for telephone time. I charge my regular tuning fee to go and
evaluate
> a piano; to me it's the same amount of time as a tuning slot and my time
is
> money.
>
> Recognizing that a prospective buyer is a potential new customer, I may
spend
> up to 15 minutes with them, but no more in that initial phone call.
During