Antique Pianos

cpstout cpstout@henge.com
Fri, 02 May 1997 12:04:05 -0600

Jon, Danny, Ron and List:

As suggested before, 'antique' anything is very nebulous and ill
defined.  There possibly are as many 'answers' as there are piano
technicians, in the case of defining antique pianos.

This thread brings to mind when I was first starting out in the piano
business, I came across a Chickering (?) grand built in 1864.  Thinking
that I had found an 'antique' piano I purchased it for practically
nothing and took it to my shop.

I then had an idea!  Who better to find out the value of the piano than
management at the famous Harold Warp's "Pioneer Village", Minden,
Nebraska?

Upon talking with the manager on duty that fine fall day, I informed him
of my good fortune, pianowise, and asked him to place an estimated value
on my instrument.  He responded, "Well, see that Knabe grand over there?
It was built in 1847 and we purchased it for $35.00.  Now how much do
you think your piano is worth?"

He then went on to explain that, before any item becomes an antique, the
MAJORITY of such objects must find their way to the junk yard.  Just how
many pianos had I ever seen in a junk yard?  I responded 'none', which
is true.  People will GIVE their piano away, usually for the church
basements.  It didn't take long at that time for this beginner to learn
to stay out of such places.
:-)
As a matter of fact one year back in the '60s I actually was called
three (3) times to look at the same junker piano!  Had to tell each
owner the piano deserved to find its way to the nearest junk pile.
Whatever happened after that, I don't know!

			Clarence (Clancy) Stout, RPT
			Nebraska Chapter, P.T.G.
			Holyoke, Colorado

  He then went on to explain the pricing of any kind of antique.