False beats Mystery

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 03 May 1997 12:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

Warren ;
  I learned my lesson on this the hard way.  Three round trips to St
Augustine (42 miles each way) many years ago.  It was hard to diagnose
because I was making my appointment in the early AM and of course the fan was
not turned on when I was there.  The last trip happened after I returned to
Jacksonville, received a call from the customer saying that the problem was
worse now than before I was there that morning.  I told her I would come
right back down and not to touch the piano until I got there.
  Well naturally when I got there there was no problem.   When I asked the
customer what she had done since talking to me she said cleaning the house
and dusting fan blades.  CLICK !  (remember as a kid laying on the floor and
talking through the fan so your voice would be distorted?)
  I asked the customer to play the piano while I listened from across the
room, by the fan switch.  She started playing and said that there was no
problem now and just didn't understand what I had done to her piano.  While sh
e was playing a second selection I turned the fan on and 'viola' there was
the horrible sound she was complaining of.  Never have heard from that
customer again.
   That was my first experience with fanitis and a costly one it was, but
like someone once said on the list ,I am a quick study, "tell, or show, me
something five times and I will pick up on it right away."
Jim Bryant (FL)