Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 03 May 1997 11:47:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi John,

How could you tell the strings were up the pins? Was there a visible gap? That would sure scare me!  I'd check the soundboard crown and bearing. It sounds to me like the board has gone concave and the resulting negative bearing is floating the strings up
off the bridge. The clicking sound you reported should be accompanied by a nasty distortion in the attack, followed by a weak sound and short sustain. If this is the case, the board is shot and it won't much matter how tight the pins are. When you get bac
k to the piano, please post what else you find, I'm curious.

Thanks,
Ron Nossaman

At 08:29 PM 5/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Not to reopen this thread....but
>
>I just worked on a Young Chang G-213 today that had a "clicking" sound,
>especially throughout the upper register.  After removing the action, I
>thought I discovered the problem....loose wippen flanges.  After repinning a
>few, I replaced the action only to find the clicking sound still there.
>What I next observed was that the strings had traveled up on the bridge pins
>considerably.  After reseating them, the click was gone!  If I have more
>time, I'll go back and check if bridge pins are loose.

>John Peters, RPT
>Berkeley, CA
>jpeters@netcom.com

 Ron Nossaman