Birdcage or Overdamper pianos

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 04 May 1997 12:24:48 +0100

Hi Jim,

Heckscher, will supply all his/hairs needs for new hammer heads and
damper felts, hammer butts on most bird cage pianos you can get away
with modern butts you may have to reduce the length of the balance
hammer (catcher to you)  as for the bottom sections  this a tricky one.
No one in the U.K. makes bottom sections unless you order full sets to
pattern,  I'm sure there are Companies in the U.S. who provide that sort
of service.

Replacement of damper felts can be a bit of a hair pulling exercise with
intermitent screams of frustration.  The larger German bird cage pianos
tend to restore a lot easier.  where the dampers are concerned.  The
small English bird cage pianos,  your colleague is advised if possible
to clean the old felt rather than replace.  I have replaced many sets of
damper felt on bird cage pianos and I can honestly say the English ones
are very frustrating and the German ones are very easy compared to the
English ones.  All down to the ability to adjust individual dampers with
out breakages.  Hope he or she has great fun.

Heckscher & co. Ltd.,
75 Bayham Street,
London
Tel: 44+ 1713871735
Fax:  44+ 1713873043

This is the web site: http://www.airtime.co.uk/forte/heckscher/heck.htm
I am still working on it, Hammers are up and so are dampers.  No email
address yet.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <Pine.PCW.3.91.970503122141.4759A-
100000@ppp3-22.inre.asu.edu>, Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |