False beats Mystery

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 04 May 1997 09:59:57 -0400 (EDT)

>I am tuning a good quality grand.  The bass section goes fine but about
>C5 I notice an increasing amount of false beating in EVERY note.  The
>higher in the scale I go the harder it is to tune because the true
>beating is getting buried under the false.  What is my problem?
>
>Clue #1  The problem probably only occurs in the Southern areas.
>
>Clue #2  The smaller the room, the more pronouced the false beating
>becomes.
>
>Have fun!
>
>Warren
>--

Perhaps this early in the year the problem is only in the Southern states,
because the ceiling fan is on, creating air movements, which effects the
vibrations of the string. The smaller the room, the more air is moving, the
greater the problem.  In a couple of weeks, the same problem will creep
north.

Just my guess.

Wim