Ear Candles (was ear wacks)

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 04 May 1997 19:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

<<Dear Tim,

I'm facinated,  my wife and I have visions of lieing down on your side
with a wick coming out of ones ear and a nice glopwing flame :-).

I know this is probably not true,  please enlighten a little further.

Warmest regards,

Barrie.>>

Barrie,

You are close to envisioning what it's like.

Ear candles are made of linen coated in wax.  The linen is wrapped into a
tube about 240mm long.  One end is conical with a about a 2 mm opening.  The
other end is about 12mm wide.  A paper plate with  a hole just big enough to
hold the candle tightly is used to keep the candle in your ear.  Flames do
shoot off the candle and the paper plate (or large plastic lid) keep hot
debris from falling on the side of your face.

It takes someone to help the person getting a good ear cleaning.  The person
getting ears cleaned lays on the floor on their side.  Make sure there is
plenty of ventilation for the smoke (Outside only works if there is no wind).
 The candle is lit and inserted into the ear.   Note:  the paper plate should
be flush against the face.  You have a tight seal if there is no smoke coming
out of the ear.  As the candle burns down the ashes need to be cut off with
scissors by the helper.   The candle needs to burn down to 25mm from the
paper plate.

You are only supposed to do the procedure once in a week's time period.  I do
this procedure about every 5 months.

My wife helped me just today with this procedure.  I don't mean to make
anyone uncomfortable, but I did extract a lot of wax.  The ears looked clean
with visual inspection, but I extracted a roll of wax  20mm long and 4mm in
diameter from each ear.

The only side affect I have found is itchy ears from really clean ears.  That
happened once when I did it again a week later.  A drop of olive oil takes
care of the itch.

I buy my ear candles from a local health food store.  I can also get them
from a homeopathic doctor.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota