used up pianos

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sun, 04 May 1997 21:50:56 -0600

Ah yes, the Knight-Brinkerhoff upright. That name brings memories to me. =
I took piano lessons on one as a boy. About 1939 a man came to our town =
with the piano on the back of a coupe car. He had a rack which cranked =
down, letting the piano down to the ground. My mother gave the man $90 =
for the piano.

In 1951 I was drafted into the army because of the Korean War. While in =
the army my mother sold the piano and at the time I couldn't care less. =
Then when I entered the piano business I was curious about this piano. =
One day back in this town my brother said he knew it's owner. As a boy I =
was guilty of taking a beer can opener and prying off a corner of an =
ivory head. Sure enough, there was the chipped ivory. The piano was dark =
oak but by now someone had painted it with a tan paint. Ugg! It wasn't a =
good piano, very bad crack in the bass bridge.

Sy Zabrocki

..