Hollow drills

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Mon, 05 May 1997 22:46:36 -0400 (EDT)

>Has anyone used these drills and what
>success have they had?  if they are of any use,  this means I can do the
>job on site and keep the cost down.   The client is reluctant to pay for
>a new beam rail due to the age of the piano.
>
>regards,
>
>Barrie.

Hi Barrie,

I just used this type of drill to remove a broken pressure bar screw.  It is
a cylinder with teeth at each end.  It is turned counter clockwise in a drill
and either cuts down just outside the threads, or if the teeth engage the
screw, it 'might' turn it out.

The one I used seemed to be fairly brittle.  Actually I broke the first one I
bought at both ends, and broke a few teeth of the one I bought to replace it!
 (I finally did win!)  I think most bigger woodworking stores have these.

Regards,

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, Maine