Kimball Grand

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 06 May 1997 09:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

>Dear List:
>I've been asked by an insurance agent to state what the present market
>value is of a 1964 Kimbal Grand. Although the model is not visible, I
>believe it is a model called 'La Petite'. It is water damaged, with the
>water going dhown through the keys and running out the keybed.
>Naturally, the owner thinks tha it is worth --- but you've been through
>that scene many times.
>I've received many varied estimates from technicians in this area.
>Any help would be appreciated, as this is my first thime through the
>mill.
>Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT

Dan

This piano, in auto terminology, is totaled. The cost of rebuilding it is
more than the value of the piano after the repairs are made. With the damage
you described, the piano would needs a new action, new pin block and strings,
possibly a new soundboard and a new finish. The cost of that would run
between $10,000 and  $15,000, which is 2 - 3 times more than the piano was
worth when it was new, and 4 - 5 times more than the piano is worth, without
the damage, or after the repairs have been made. Since the LaPetit is no
longer made, a comparable piano would be a Samick 4' 7" grand, which retails
around $9,000.

Willem Blees, RPT