Hollow drills

Murray A. Seminuk seminukm@cadvision.com
Tue, 06 May 1997 07:53:37 -0600

>Dear All,
>
>I have a Brimsmead grand coming up soon, which has several broken screws
>in the beam rail (the piece of wood you screw the hammers too).  I have
>worked on these pianos before.  This is a common problem, due to a beech
>wood beam rail  and rusting of the extra long screw which  accommodates
>the hammers and the set off (let off) prolong.  The last one I did I
>replaced the beam rail.  However, this client only wishes me to regulate
>his piano and of course, repair broken screws.  I have heard of hollow
>drills which you choose the size of drill to match the screw you wish to
>drill out, drill down the screw and then the screw falls out and you
>just plug the hole and re-drill.  Has anyone used these drills and what
>success have they had?  if they are of any use,  this means I can do the
>job on site and keep the cost down.   The client is reluctant to pay for
>a new beam rail due to the age of the piano.
>
>regards,
>
>Barrie.
>

>--
>
>Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
>The UK PIano Page                              |
>pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED
>

>Hi Barrie

I have one of these drill bits.Basically it is just a 1/4 in. hollow tube
with teeth ground in reverse.This means that you run the drill in reverse
..It is difficult to start the drilling process by just holding the drill by
hand.A drill press works the best and it will do the job.If you need more
info or whrer you can get one please let me know.I think that I paid about
$10. Canadian.

Regards
Murray
Murray A. Seminuk Piano Services