Bosendorfer capstans revisited

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed, 07 May 1997 12:33:46 -0500

When removing the backrail cloth for replacement, I found what
appeared to be a date written underneath, either 1912 or 1917. Could the
material used for the capstans be something other than brass because
they were at or preparing for war? Anybody seen this before? They are
a very dark gray.
David Graham
dgraham@byu.edu
PS I am REALLY tired of deleting at least half of my incoming mail
because it belongs on PTG-L rather than on Pianotech.  I fear that
Pianotech will be politicized into triviality, which certainly was not why it
was created. It has been a Very helpful forum for transmitting
information and picking the brains of other techs from around the world.
Can we Please keep it that way? Just as it would be improper to conduct
a family argument in front of strangers, so I believe these often
necessary but messy arguments should only take place on the forum
created especially for them. Let's remember that many non PTG members
also read Pianotech, and we do a great organization and ultimately
ourselves no favors by airing our differences out of place. Please either
respond to someone privately or on PTG-L. Thank you.
David