Banding Panels

Daryl Matthies pianotec@hnet.net
Wed, 07 May 1997 16:19:41 -0500

Dear Pianotechs,

Today again I was questioned about the cheapness of the panels on Yamaha
pianos and others.  I refer to the bottom knee board and it's exposed
particle board edge.  My reply is that if a manufacturer is going to skimp,
this panel would be the place to do it.  It doesn't add to sound or
strength.

A couple of years ago when I  visited the Yamaha factory I asked why they
didn't band the edges on the bottom panel on their pianos.  I was told,
"They were thinking about doing it".

I believe it would sure be an aesthetic improvement to the ugly particle
board edge.

Have any of you been questioned about this or is it just the piano owners
here in WI.?

Daryl Matthies