center pin reamers, homemade

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 1997 20:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-09 12:42:51 EDT, Richard Moody wrote:

<< For burnishing, I lean towards the traditional tapered comercial
 kind. >>

Richard -

The problem with this tapered burnisher, (and the tapered reamer, for that
matter,) is that the finished hole is not uniform in size throughout. With
Don Mannino's method, however, there is a built-in burnisher. When you push
the reamer in you first burnish the felt, then re4am it, and finally burnish
it again when withdrawing the tool. Since I got my set after seeing a class
given by Don at a convention, I wouldn't be caught without them. The only
thing I have found lacking in them was that I had to make a smaller guage
reamer for one certain brand piano that takes a #18 center pin in the damper
flanges, which are always in need of reaming. (By the way, this piano is no
longer manufactured, but I still service many of them!)

John Elving, RPT
Sacramento, CA