Flat A

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sun, 11 May 1997 11:35:33 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

If a tuner references a C fork and tunes by ear, the A might be off.
Like wise with a A fork, the C can off.    Unless of course you are
as good as a machine  ; )
R Moody

If you were using an "A" fork and setting a temperament from F3 to F4
and you were adjusting the pitch say 5-8 cents sharper, you finish the
temperament and start up to note 88 tuning center string only on a fully
strip muted piano (given this is not the preferred way anymore, but many
of us dinosaurs still do it that way) when you come to A4, you make
little or no adjustment. You proceed up the piano and down into the bass
then go back through tuning unisons.  My question is when you go by A4
the second time would it tend to leave it flatter or sharper due to the
additional tension of the pitch adjustment above A4?

Why am I asking?  A procedure change could eliminate the problem!

Warren

Ryan, Philip wrote:

> Warren,
>
> Have any of these pianos been used in connection with other instruments,
> especially strings?

Not as far as I know.  Most have been privately owned pianos

--
Home of The Humor List
Warren D. Fisher