center pin reamers, homemade

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 11 May 1997 13:44:52 -0500

----------
> From: JElving@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: center pin reamers, homemade
> Date: Saturday, May 10, 1997 7:26 PM
>
> In a message dated 97-05-09 12:42:51 EDT, Richard Moody wrote:
>
> << For burnishing, I lean towards the traditional tapered comercial
>  kind. >>
>
> Richard -
>
> The problem with this tapered burnisher, (and the tapered reamer,
for that
> matter,) is that the finished hole is not uniform in size
throughout.

I agree, although it should be a uniform taper. but what is the
difference in size?  How much taper is there in a burnisher over a
space of 2 mm?  On mine it is more than 1/1000, more than I imagined.
 On the reamer it is about 1 /1000 for every two mm.   Hmm I  am
leaning more toward fixed diameter burnishers. But I'm  not gonna
throw it away yet. Its whatever gives the best feel. If burnishing
with next size pin feels to tight, a little snug with the tapered
burnisher and trying the pin again will tell whether to ream some
more.
	 Its also possible that a "tapered" bushing might work better, but I
have no idea why.  The idea of reaming and burnishing with center
pins should be as old as center pins themselves, but only the tapered
ones were offered in catalogues.
	Wonder how they do it Renner?
R Moody