Bosendorfer capstans revisited -Reply

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:25:44 -0500

Jim, someone else mentioned pewter  as well. They are much harder and
smoother than any pot metal I've seen. I didn't have to do anything to
them, and the wippen cushion was only a little dirty-not like when brass
is used. This piano continues to amaze me as I work on it. The wippens
are original and were quite reusable. The ORIGINAL leather key bushings
will also be retained, the keys simply don't wobble. Yet the piano has
been played regularly though not heavily, enough to wear out the
hammers.
David