piano tilter home made

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:33:24 -0500

The greatest problem in constructing a piano tilter is its curve.  I
have found a circular shape with a 24 inch radius to be the easiest
for uprights over 50 inches tall.  However because I want to put
wheels on it to manuever the piano in the tilted position, I made my
rockers with a 22 inch radius.  Without the wheels, you should not
have to spend over $25 retail for the parts.  You need two 2 X 4 's
at least 48" long and 4 more up to 21" long.  For plywood you need a
4 X 4' plywood cut in 2  24" pieces.  5/8 to 3/4" thick will work.
($10.00)
	What ever size rocker you want, using a string that length from one
corner of the plywood trace a quarter circle. Cut it out with a jig
saw. Take that cutting and use it to trace another quarter circle
from the other corner.  Cut that out.  Take the two quarter circles
and assemble on  the two by fours.  Use finishing nails to tack into
place. That way you can make changes if needed.   Now you have the
two sides of the tilter.  I used a 14" by 36" piece of plywood for
the width. When every thing is tacked up and looks OK,  All pieces
are screwed together with deck screws.  A common electric drill will
work.  Variable speed even better.  Trim the legs. For the "teeth"
that reach under the piano I used 2  heavy duty L brackets from the
hardware store.  (6"x 6") (They cost me close to $3.00 a piece).  In
fitting these to the tilter you will need an upright piano. You will
notice the bottom board (trap board) is recessed. From the amount of
this recess and the thickness of the b board fashion a strip of wood
to go between the two "teeth"   A length of wood is better than two
blocks.  Without this, the teeth will tend to bend from the weight of
the piano.  Since these teeth are long, there is  no danger of the
piano rolling out if the casters shift.
	If you would like a video of the details of construction send me a
pre-paid self addressed mailer with a blank video cassette in it.  A
five dollar tip would be appreciated.
For just a drawing send two bucks to cover return postage, envelope
and photo copying.
	Using this tilter with simple modifications you can tilt a piano
onto and off of a piano dolly. The video will show this, plus several
refinement options, especially how it breaks down for transportation
in a hatch back or station wagon.
	Please email me for my address, so I know what to expect.

Richard Moody