Hammer striking point-sad story-embarrassment

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:55:32 -0500

Greetings, List, and a happy Mothers Day to all you Tech Moms and Moms
of Techs.
A few months ago a friend, new in town, ask me if I thought a Krakauer
Bros. upright at his mothers in New Jersey, would be worth shipping to
him (Ponca City, Ok). It was bought for him as a boy, about 25 or 30
years ago I would guess, and he has fond memories of it. I said let me
give you names of some RPTs in the area for your mother to contact to
get a reliable openion. She did, and he said piano certainly worth
shipping and worth fixing up for her son. His statement reads: "Replace
hammers, lubricate action, remove lost motion and replace a few center
pins. $700.00"

The piano arrived in Ponca the other day ($700.00 shipping bill), and I
went to tune it. There were 5 prominent cracks in the sound board; at
least one under the tenor bridge. Tone was on the dull side but good
enough for a practice piano. Strings were rusty making a pitch raise
tenseful. Sharps went so far below the naturals that on repeated play
the hammers blocked on the strings. Appears that whoever put plastic
covers on the naturals took all the paper punching from under the thin
front rail felt of the sharps. Took .090" to.095" paper under the front
and .018" to .023" under center to set the sharps to the naturals, both
with a little more than 3/8" dip.

But worse than all the above was the hammers. With few exceptions they
were put on old shanks, one that had been broken and glued with thread
wrapped from top to bottom. When I got to G6 tuning it got through to me
that tone was getting weak. All the hammers were striking too far below
the upper bridge. A half inch in most of the upper octave and not in a
straight line to C8 which was about 1/4" below. It was embarrassing to
have to explain the awful job done by an RPT who told his mother he had
25 to 30 years experience. That is a long time of stealing from the
innocent. BTW had to replace some hammer flange center pins which I
guess he overlooked. Also, in response to his question, had to say the
piano was not worth shipping to Oklahoma. I left, promising to
reschedule in a week to ten days to make things right.

Have never had to determine striking point from scratch in an upright.
W.B.White's book, 1959 edition, says 1/8 of the speaking length to 1/16
in the extreme treble end. Figured I might find where the hammers depart
from the 1/8 point then draw a straight line to the 1/16 point at C8.
Any comment from anyone will be appreciated. The angle of hammer to
shank is less than 90 degrees, and if I raise it to 90 degrees might be
enough to do the job. I tried that at G6 and the tone volume improved,
but I have not measured the striking length. But I assume the important
thing is for the new hammers to strike at 90 degrees. Right?
Any recommendations from anyone will be appreciated. Almost forgot.
Looks like the lost motion was removed by installing new sticker felt,
about half of which has come unglued. That lifted hammers slightly off
the hammer rail in the lower bass where I had to lower the capstans.

What a mess. It's almost midnight, so good night all you late emailers.

Travis