Tuning problems

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:42:34 -0500 (CDT)

>     ...What I found was, I could set the middle string and then bring in t=
he
>     outside string that was not shared with the middle string over the
>     hitch pin.  I would then bring the shared outside string into unison
>     with the middle string and both would be different from the unshared
>     outside string...
>
>     ...How does one tune a piano with this kind of a problem?...
>
>     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
>     E-mail:  Glen_Deligdisch@SIL.ORG

Glen, List,

There is a good chance the tuning pins are not aligned correctly, thereby
causing the strings to be touching each other and/or the tuning pins
themselves. So, when you set one string of the unison correctly, you
disturb that setting when attempting to tune the other strings.

If this is the case, you have a real challenge on your hands.    It's not
impossible, but it can be done.  Though I don't know the following first
hand, I would suspect it is even a more difficult process if you are an
aural tuner only.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician