Steinway repetition

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 12 May 1997 11:32:42 -0400

>gets caught on the back-check and freezes.  I'm suspicious of the action
>geometry, particularly hammers over-striking, and stack height. Any info
>would be appreciated.

Hi, John,

I have found such problems can be caused by too much felt on the hammer, the
backchecks are too high, the hammer tail is too short and there being too
much felt on the hammers (this usually occurs at the botom of the middle
seciton), and finally too much wood removed from the tail, thereby moving
the backcheck too close to the ahmmer felt.

If the action is in the ball part as to up and down weight and has the
average amount of lead in the keys I would look to the above before spending
too much time and action geometry.

Have fun!.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com