violin thread

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Tue, 13 May 1997 23:05:31 -0400

Susan Kline wrote:

> I have never tortured a piano tuner yet! (Except maybe myself, by tackling
> spinets full of mice, etc.)

Susan: I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread. As one who is a pianist it
was a great challenge, when training for the Music Teaching profession
in the public schools, to have to learn to play all the bowed string
instruments. Then to attempt to play them in tune was a fantastic
learning experience. The training in listening was to pay dividends
later, but I didn't know it then.

As to your comment about mice, this appeared in a technician's
newsletter somewhere and I just couldn't resist adding it to your
comment above <grin, grin>:
'Here's a novel use for mice - let them run over the top of your hammers
and harden them (it's much cheaper than other methods), but be sure to
carefully match the size of mice to hammer size'.
Dan Hallett Jr., RPT
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net