violin thread

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Wed, 14 May 1997 01:19:21 -0500

Susan, et.al: Another instrument is the voice. I think we can say that
singing presents the same problems and benefit as instrument
performance. Your comment in another post about only occasionally
finding others that can play in tune well enough to give real pleasure
in quartet playing (I paraphrase) is particularly true using the voice
as the instrument. I was taught to sing harmony as a young child. Only
once in my life have I had the opportunity to sing with three other
fellows that could really "ring" a chord. What a thrill. I think that my
constant awareness of harmony was the reason I did not enjoy my piano
about two months after it was tuned. Since I could not afford a tuner
that often I learned to tune it myself. That was about 47 years ago.
Must admit it took longer than two months to get the hang of it, but
with the help of the tuners bible at that time, by White, a generous
technician in Houston and people at Schaff that I use to call until one
day he said "why dont you join the guild where you will learn all those
answers", I became a "Registered Craftsman"; 18 years ago. My daughters
grew up with a piano always in tune. One plays violin and another,
cello. They frequently tell people "you need to get that piano tuned".

The influence of a well tuned piano on children reminds me of the time a
young woman, great with child, set right behind me as I tuned her piano,
hopeing the child would be imprinted with pitch memory, I presume.
Probably drove the kid wild. No I dont know if it had any affect on the
kid. They moved out of town.