Confession time

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Wed, 14 May 1997 00:01:53 -0500

Well said Jim. Keeping in shape requires frequent practice for anything
we do. I have often said I practice tuning as a doctor practices
medicine. After many many years of tuning without an SAT, now that I
have one I spend a lot of my tuning time checking it by ear and often
(but not always) find that my eyes were not as accurate as they should
have been. What really slows me down is when my ear says the note should
be flatter than the SAT does, and after checking octaves, forths, fifths
and 3rd sequences I leave it where my ear says to. One thing that
bothers me about the SAT, FAC tunings is that the beat rates of the 3rds
and 6ths start out faster in the temperament octave than my aural
tuning, and some of the 4ths have a tad more beat than I prefer. I must
admit I have not studied or analyzed the difference, such as spending
time on my own Steinway S, to try to understand the reason for the
difference. For now I yield to the SAT for the temperament and have had
no complaints, nor do I expect any, because the 4ths and 5ths sound as
good as mine and slight differences are found only with very close
listening.

And to the Nichols, not funny. Sad at times but not funny. Our public
school has an outstanding string program starting in the 5th grade( but
facing Mr. Hollands Opus problems). Recently went to the annual All
Orchestra Annual Review. Over 400 kids, 5th thru 12th. Amazing how good
a large bunch of 5th graders can sound after a few months training. The
senior high orchestra (about 80 I think; 15 cellos, 14 1st violins, etc.
were a thrill to hear. They took the sweepstakes at a contest in
Atlanta, last year. Band and choral did the same at their contests. With
a great program that means so much to so many it is a constant fight
with present school administration who take every opportunity to cut the
program. Constant tension, and sad.

Travis Gordy