Laptop? (was Re: SAT for JP ?)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 14 May 1997 13:39:23 -0500

David Ilvedson wrote about Rob Kiddell's contribution:

> I agree with Rob...get those aural skills together.  Too often I
> see newer technicians with the machine and never have the
> confidence to take the tuning test.  They put it off...I call it
> "accutuneritis".   We hear from folks time and again saying how
> they use their ears all the time when using a machine.  I know
> of technicians who have never tuned a piano by ear and haven't
> the foggiest idea how to do it.  They just turn on the machine
> and use it exclusively.
>
> ilvey
> Pacifica, CA

This has worried me for a while now, especially since I have been
teaching tuning privately and giving classes at PTG seminars on "Speed
Tuning Tips" and "Tuning for Stage and Studio."  To what extent may we
say that a person is a Piano Tuner if he/she cannot do a FULL piano
tuning without the aid of what I call an "advanced tool?"  Basic tools
such as tuning hammer/lever, mutes, tuning strips are obviously needed,
but can we not put an electronic tuning device (ETD) in a different
category?  Does anyone agree or disagree?  I'm still trying to sort this
out in my own mind.

As you may guess, I went looking for a parallel situation in the flying
community.  And, I thought this would be even more appropriate, since
flying is a more serious, even life-and-death situation.  As far as I
know, no one has lost a life because of a drifting unison! :-)

So, I asked an FAA designated examiner if a pilot were being examined in
an airplane that had an automatic pilot, would the pilot be allowed to
use the auto-pilot to fly a competency check ride.  This would apply to
general aviation pilots, corporate pilots, and airline pilots.  His
answer was that during the actual check ride in the actual airplane, THE
AUTO-PILOT MAY NOT BE USED.  The pilot being tested MUST show
proficiency in safely controlling the aircraft without using this
"advanced tool."  I would think that showing proficiency in piano tuning
should require nothing less:  Pass the tuning test, or simply be able to
tune a whole piano, without relying on an "advanced tool" in order to
call yourself a Piano Tuner.

To keep the above answer complete, the designated examiner did say that,
since the auto-pilot was a system in the aircraft and pilots being
tested for a specific aircraft (Boeing 736 or King Air, for example)
must show familiarity with all aircraft systems, proper use of the
auto-pilot could be requested during the portion of the test done in the
simulator, but NOT in the actural airplane.

What do you think?

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas		"Keep the blue side up"