violin thread

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 16:50:19 -0400 (EDT)

Bob;
In a message dated 5/14/97 4:16:55 PM, you ask:
 "Do slight irregularities in an aural tuning equal 'warmth' or
'inaccuracy'?"

  In my opinion the answer is yes!  However to get to that point one must
first truly tune the instrument and not just get it close enough.  A very
slight, almost undetectable, rolling of unison adds body, substance,
fullness, depth, warmth, to a unison, which if truly tuned in unison would
sound nice, clear, ringing and without as much body. (much as the tone
generated, without vibrato, by an electronic instrument sounds)
  If we tuned our unison to provide this slight "rolling" we would be
introducing "inaccuracy" to the tuning as far as mathmatics goes but if we
did it "accurately" and intentionally, is it really inaccurate ?  I get
confused just about this point when discussing these things.  :-)  The
sustain time on a unision is slightly longer on a note with a slight roll,
but I will leave it to the theoreticians out there to tell us why.
  Again, the answer to your question is yes.........but (here it comes
Horace) it is all in your perception of the process and results.
Jim Bryant (FL)