Confession time

Wed, 14 May 1997 13:18:34 -0700

Mark, Joel, et al.

We are indebted to the _very_ few artists like Andre Watts who are willing
to give voice to their impressions/convictions about the instruments given
them to play.

Even if they are highly critical of us, hopefully only as technicians, and
not as human beings, neither organizational management, nor artist
representatives, nor, unfortunately manufacturers will listen to anyone
else - if, indeed, they listen to the artists.

People do not like to think of pianos except as icons.  It is difficult, at
best, to educate them to the idea that every instrument has a usable
lifespan (for artistic purposes) after which time it must receive either
major service or be replaced altogether.  Strings, hammers, certain action
parts simply must be viewed as immediately depreciable, IFF the piano is to
be in the best condition which its basic construction allows.

Good luck, Mark.

Horace

>The Spokane Symphony had Andr=E9 Watts earlier this year as a guest artist.
>The notable thing he did here was bring the Symphony management back to
>earth in regard to our relatively new D.  So far it has been a truly
>exceptional piano.  However, as we all know, it still needs maintenence.
>Andr=E9 was the only artist this year that did anything less than rave abou=
>the piano.  He made a couple of suggestions and told us "do not become
>complacent about your piano."  This horrified the management, but I thanked
>him for saying this since it helps me bring the management to a more
>realistic attitude about the intstrument.
>
>Mark Story, RPT
>Eastern Washington University
>mstory@ewu.edu

>> From: Joel Rappaport <joelr@flash.net>
>> To: pianotech@byu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Confession time
>> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 11:47 AM
>
>> Yes, I agree.  Just finished working with Andr=E9 Watts on a series of 2
>> rehearsals and 4 concerts.  He asked me to touch up the voicing a

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942