Help me understand this clarinetist!

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 21:52:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all!

I've encountered a clarinetist in my little musical world who insists on
pianos being pitched at A442.  He has a Yamaha horn and says that "they don't
even make their clarinets tunable to A440".  He also states that almost ALL
of the major U.S. symphonies are tuned to A442.  Are these statements
accurate?

Let's just say that up to this point I've been "accommodating" to his pitch
preference.  (up here in the Great White North, I have to correct pitch A
LOT, and eight cents isn't all that much, to be frank).  But it does get old,
doesn't it?

Anyway, do clarinetists prefer narrow octaves or wide octaves?  How do I keep
this guy happy? (as he is quite influential in this little cosmos)

My ears are open to suggestions...do you have any?

Stay Tuned!

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI