Tuning Pins

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Wed, 14 May 1997 23:08 -0500 (EST)

     May 14, 1997

     Dear List,

     I am trying to pull together all of the information I can in
     preparation for re-stringing my old upright (my first).  There seems
     to be quite a range of opinion on what size the new tuning pins should
     be.  Some say I should automatically ream and install two sizes
     larger.  Some say I should save the pin block and go back in with one
     size up.  I can see the advantages of both suggestions but am still
     uncertain of what might be the normal practice or best.

     Reblitz kind of sides with both by using the present condition of the
     piano to be the determining factor.

     My piano is a Stieff made in 1904.  It still has the original 1/0 pins
     and I suspect the original strings (?).  The pins are definitely loose
     and need changing besides the fact that I need to learn how it is all
     done.

     As far as my piano is concerned I am not worried about what size the
     next pins will be.  I am concerned about the customer that I might be
     helping somewhere down the road.  I have 1/0 which gives my piano the
     potential of several more pinnings if needed with a 2 size increase
     each time.  But if a customer already has 3/0 and I just simply go up
     2 sizes, that piano might be hard pressed for another pinning in the
     future.

     My question then is:  What rule of thumb do you folks use to determine
     what size pin is appropriate for a re-stringing job.

     Thanks for your insights,

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
     P.O. Box 248