Tuning Pins

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 14 May 1997 21:00:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi Glen:

Most American made pianos start with 00 size tuning pins. Have you
measured yours to know for sure that they were 1/0. If they were
actually 2/0 or 00, then going to 3/0 would only be going up one size.
The reason most people recommend going 2 sizes larger is that there is
some damage to the hole in removing the old pins, so 2 sizes larger is
more secure.  The chances of this piano being repinned again are very
small indeed, so I wouldn't worry about using up the available sizes
for the future. Usually a new block will be installed before a second
repinning would be necessary.

Jim Coleman, Sr.