Laptop? (was Re: SAT for JP ?)

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Thu, 15 May 1997 01:19:14 -0600

> So, I asked an FAA designated examiner if a pilot were being examined in
> an airplane that had an automatic pilot, would the pilot be allowed to
> use the auto-pilot to fly a competency check ride.  This would apply to
> general aviation pilots, corporate pilots, and airline pilots.  His
> answer was that during the actual check ride in the actual airplane, THE
> AUTO-PILOT MAY NOT BE USED.  The pilot being tested MUST show
> proficiency in safely controlling the aircraft without using this
> "advanced tool."  I would think that showing proficiency in piano tuning
> should require nothing less:  Pass the tuning test, or simply be able to
> tune a whole piano, without relying on an "advanced tool" in order to
> call yourself a Piano Tuner.

I thought that was a good analogy at first but it is not.  The autopilot
flies the plane, hands off.  That is like a pianist giving a prerecorded
concert on a PianoDisc system while sipping champagne with the guests.
Today's aircraft have numerous automation and navigation capabilities that
are all used during checkrides.  I can list them but I would be drifting
off of the point.  I saw many excellent comments in this thread and a funny
coincidence with the thread on the bad B1 tuning.  The SAT is a tool.  Mine
should arrive in a day or two and I know it is just a tool.  I don't expect
it to do the tuning by itself.

So I am agreeing with the comments above but being familiar with aviation,
I just disliked that analogy!!

I am reminded of my private pilot training, when we practiced "engine out"
procedures:  We never did shut the engine off!  There I go drifting off the
point again!

Glenn.